I hope you will try Giganews or UsenetServer for your news subscription -- especially as a holiday present for your friends, family, or yourself!
Sign up for GUBA if you just want an easy way to view binaries! Gigantic Usenet Binary Archive offers a paid service to view newsgroup files via your web browser. The intuitave interface gives viewers access to hundreds of newsgroups. GUBA is really supporting me now, and I hope you will give them a try for your binary needs!
can sign up to refer customers to GUBA and earn money!
Try also: PocketBinaries for your cell phone!
What are binaries?
What sort of binaries are there?
- Binaries are to newsgroups as "attached files" are to e-mail, or "downloads" are to web browsing. Although many people read and post to newsgroups for the text content, since files can be encoded into text form for later decoding, newsgroups also can contain files. While theoretically these files could be text files, since text can already be read directly from a newsgroup, most people do not post text files as file attachments in newsgroups. Since non-text files are referred to as "binary" files, newsgroups meant for file attachments usually have "binaries" in the newsgroup name.
How to post them?
- Pictures (alt.binaries.disney but also various adult groups), multimedia, MP3, application programs (legit and pirated -- I object to the latter), etc.
How to read them?
- Check the instructions that come with your favorite newsreader.
- Specialized utilities: See the Mac, Windows or Unix utilities pages on this site.
- Use your regular Newsreader
- Web: Use a web-based newsreader or one of the binary-newsfeeds services that offers web-based access
What newsfeed do you recommend?
- If you are not satisfied with your current newsfeed, or don't have one at all, see the Newsfeeds list. Although the general newsfeeds should have binary groups, there are also newsfeed services that specialize in binaries, listed at the bottom of that page. For binaries, I especially recommend EasyNews. They specialize in binaries, offering Web or newsreader access! If you don't need newsreader access, and just want the binaries via your web browser, please try GUBA. (Gigantic Usenet Binary Archive) "The intuitave interface gives viewers access to hundreds of newsgroups." (They are really supporting me right now, so I hope you will support them.)
- Binnews focuses on binary newsgroups. They help you find what is posted in various binary newsgroups.
- BinNewZ.COM should also be checked out.
How to Combine and Decode Multi-part Newsgroup Messages
Copyright © eMailman, LLC 1998-2009.
Emailman ® is a registered mark of eMailman, LLC.
The eMailman character, NewsReaders.com character,
"NewsReaders.com", "Emailman always delivers", "electronic superhero", "eMailOrder",
the backwards "@" sign, "@ backwards", "turning your e-mail around" and "Read.
Discuss. View. Think." are trademarks of eMailman, LLC.
All other marks belong to their respective owners.