Mac OS news servers
NewsRover: for discussion groups and binaries!
I hope you will try Giganews or UsenetServer for your news subscription -- especially as a holiday present for your friends, family, or yourself!
Support this site:
- NewsArchive "is an automated off-site backup service for newsgroups. Whatever server you use to run your newsgroups, whatever you use them for, if they are important to your business you should be using NewsArchive to ensure they keep running."
News Server Utilities:
- RumorMill by Swaystairs. RumorMill is a Macintosh native news server. In addition to normal news processing, RumorMill can also be configured to accept postings via EMail and to send postings via EMail. The configuration can be easily managed, locally or remotely, by using the included RumorMill Setup application.
- Conversant by Macrobyte Resources is a community/site-building package. Subscribers can read or post to discussions via news, e-mail, or web. Server runs on Mac or Windows.
- DNews from NetWin Ltd. (Mac OS X or Mac running Linux)
- JiveForums for Win, Mac, or Unix is Java-based. and "is a powerful, open-architecture, customizable community product that supports dynamic, threaded discussions on websites." All versions have an e-mail gateway, and the enterprise and expert versions allow nntp posting/reading.
- NewsRunner by Hi Resolution. Even though it is technically
a client, I list it in servers because it will convert news to HTML or distribute news via e-mail, thus enabling people
in your organization to read news via web browser or e-mail.
- Virtuoso Universal Server from OpenLink Software "is a cross platform server that implements multiple server side protocols as part of a single product offering. You get one server product that offers WebDAV/HTTP, Application, and Database server functionality alongside Native XML Storage, Universal Data Access Middleware, and a Web Services Platform." Includes mail server and news component. "Virtuoso's News Services is a NNTP based server that provides fast access to Internet (Usenet) news groups with a simple interface for creating, administering and accessing NNTP newsgroups. Virtuoso News Services enable integration of multiple news forums whether they reside in an internal corporate intranet or externally on the internet.
More than just a NNTP news reader, Virtuoso News Services has the ability to perform a powerful Usenet text search where by news content that resides in Virtuoso is dynamically indexed to provide keyword searches across multiple forums. "
- Web Crossing, from Web Crossing, Inc., is a "Virtual Community Board," with forums accessible via newsgroup (nntp) or web interface. It also can archive mailing lists as well as letting users post to the mailing list via a web interface; future version will serve mailing lists. Finally, it has a chat feature. Runs on Mac OS 8/9/X, Windows 95/98/NT, and various Unix/Linux.
- DNewsWeb: for use with DNews server - provides WWW interface to newsgroups.
Copyright © eMailman, LLC 1998-2009.
Emailman ® is a registered mark of eMailman, LLC.
The eMailman character, NewsReaders.com character,
"NewsReaders.com", "Emailman always delivers", "electronic superhero", "eMailOrder",
the backwards "@" sign, "@ backwards", "turning your e-mail around" and "Read.
Discuss. View. Think." are trademarks of eMailman, LLC.
All other marks belong to their respective owners.