Unix/Linux news servers
I hope you will try Giganews or UsenetServer for your news subscription -- especially as a holiday present for your friends, family, or yourself!
Newsgroups: (for discussing Unix news servers):
Support this site:
News Servers (which talk to readers):
- NewsArchive "is an automated off-site backup service for newsgroups. Whatever server you use to run your newsgroups, whatever you use them for, if they are important to your business you should be using NewsArchive to ensure they keep running."
See also the other servers page for some Java-based servers which will run on Unix/Linux.
- BinBuster Pro News Server by Oz Insight for Win, Linux, or BSD. "The BinBuster Pro News
Server addresses the significant problems faced by ISPs of handling large volumes of news
articles. This is due to binary attachments carried by articles (35 top groups are
accountable for 50% of the traffic), and because these attachments are posted multiple
times with different messages and reposted regularly. BinBuster Pro uniquely identifies
attached binary objects and will store only one copy of each posted object, no matter with
how many messages it comes with." See also their freeware BinBuster server
- Cyclone: by Highwinds is a fully supported carrier-class commercial Internet News
Routing system. It provides high-end features like quality of service guarantees, hot-failover, load-balancing, and exceptional
- DBabble by NetWinSite is a combination Chat/Discussion server, allowing both threaded web discussions (with optional NNTP interface) as well as instant communication.
- Diablo: by Matthew Dillon. News transit & reading system.
- DNews: by NetWin Ltd.
- Inframail by Infradig for Windows or Unix is a mail server (POP, IMAP, web-mail, mailing lists) and news server.
- INN: THE unix news server (Netscape used a version of INN to produce Netscape Collabra).
- JiveForums for Win, Mac, or Unix is Java-based. and "is a powerful, open-architecture, customizable community product that supports dynamic, threaded discussions on websites." All versions have an e-mail gateway, and the enterprise and expert versions allow nntp posting/reading.
- KOM2000 is a web-based discussion forum that also provides nntp access.
- LeafNode: "Leafnode is a USENET software package designed for small sites running any flavour of Unix, with a few tens of readers and only a slow link to the net. It was originally written by Arnt Gulbrandsen and is currently being maintained by Cornelius Krasel"
- Lyris ListManager
: mailing list/private NNTP news server for Windows and Unix.
- Noffle (sourceforge) "Noffle is a news (nntp) server optimized for few users and low speed dial-up connections to the Internet. It can add offline reading capabilities to existing news readers."
- sn is a small news system for small sites serving perhaps a few dozen newsgroups, and with a slow connection to the internet.
- s-news (Simple News Server) " is a simple news server for hosts with one or two users. It is intended to supply spool and offline news reading for a configured selection of newsgroups. S-news does the minimum required to maintain a conventional news spool and makes use of suck for news transport."
- sn is a small news system for sites which serve perhaps a few dozen newsgroups, and which have a slow connection to the Internet. The target user is a home or SOHO with a single modem connection to the Internet and serving a few workstations. sn also includes a mail-to-news filter.
- Sun Internet News Server -- details anyone?
- SurgeNews by NetWinsite for Windows or Linux.
- Twister: by bCandid. Twister Discussion Server 1.2 is bCandid's Web-based discussion software
that enables ISPs to serve both HTTP and NNTP discussion, using your
- Typhoon: by Highwinds is a fully supported carrier-class commercial Internet News
Server system. Besides exceptional scalability, it provides high-end
features like flexible authentication, virtual servers, and chaining.
- Virtuoso Universal Server from OpenLink Software "is a cross platform server that implements multiple server side protocols as part of a single product offering. You get one server product that offers WebDAV/HTTP, Application, and Database server functionality alongside Native XML Storage, Universal Data Access Middleware, and a Web Services Platform." Includes mail server and news component. "Virtuoso's News Services is a NNTP based server that provides fast access to Internet (Usenet) news groups with a simple interface for creating, administering and accessing NNTP newsgroups. Virtuoso News Services enable integration of multiple news forums whether they reside in an internal corporate intranet or externally on the internet.
More than just a NNTP news reader, Virtuoso News Services has the ability to perform a powerful Usenet text search where by news content that resides in Virtuoso is dynamically indexed to provide keyword searches across multiple forums. "
- WebCrossing is a "community" package, meaning it provides a web site and communication packages for virtual communities. Web, Webmail, POP3/IMAP/SMTP, web-based and NNTP forums, and can run mailing lists.
News Server Caching:
- NewsCache by Herbert Straub is a feature enhenced and bugfixed version of Thomas Gschwind's original version (immediately below).
- NewsCache is a free (GNU-GPL) nntp caching server (sits between actual servers and the readers).
- nntpcache: a free caching server by Julian Assange & Luke Bowker.
News Server Utilities:
- Alphabetical Listing of News Utilities listed at Mib Software's Usenet RKT. Many little utilities for servers.
- Direct Read News lets Usenet users read, post, and decode articles within newsgroups with a standard web browser. This is not a news database or archive, but real time access to Usenet. For use with standard nntp servers, especially INN, bCandid's Typhoon and Breeze products, and Microsoft Exchange servers. Available in Intel/Linux, Intel/BSD and SPARC/Solaris versions.
- DNewsWeb: for use with DNews server - provides WWW interface to newsgroups.
- leafwa web-based administration tool for Leafnode.
- Multisuck by Conrad Sabatier. "A multi-server, multi-connections-per-server Usenet news sucking mechanism. Feeds articles to a local news server. Powerful filtering capability. Runs continuously as a quasi-daemon." (sourceforge project page)
- MyNews: Scripts and overview explanation on setting up and maintaing inn
and suck on a small network (e.g. home or SOHO). Currently targetted at FreeBSD, would welcome and encourage
porting to other platforms.
- NewsMon (sourceforge) "NewsMon is a system to check the complete path of your USENET news system."
- NewsPlex by Adam Mirowski for Linux (also comes in Windows version) "NewsPlex v2.8 is a news-server multiplexer. It allows to access
several news-servers simultaneously from any news-reader as if they
were a single server, and to take articles for each group from many
servers at once. NewsPlex can be seamlessly inserted between your
existing news-server and your news-reader, without disturbing the list
of groups or the article numbers."
- NewsStar (freshmeat page) by Tony Houghton "fetches news and posts it to a local server; INN, s-news and sn are supported, and it should work with other servers with some configuration and extra scripts. It's designed for Unix-like systems, and all the development was done on Linux."
- NewsX NNTP news exchange program by Egil Kvaleberg. "Newsx is an NNTP client for Unix. It will connect to a remote NNTP server and post outgoing articles batched by the news system, as well as fetch incoming articles."
- nntpbench by Kenichi Okada to test your server.
- NNTPScan "is a content-blind NNTP Scanning tool to locate messages with specific attributes in both news spools and from a live feed. It is designed to be highly efficient in terms of processing time, network load, and server load."
- NNTPSwitch "is a Linux NNTP content router, loadbalancer and virtual hosting application. It's aimed at high-performance news servers for ISPs and Usenet resellers. NNTPSwitch forwards client connections to multiple backend servers to get it's articles. Depending on the backend server type, all NNTP commands and extensions are supported."
- SpamHippo is a program to help eliminate spam. It works with INN and bCandid news servers.
- Stump moderation utility. Optional WebStump graphical interface. Can also handle mailing lists.
- Suck by Bob Yetman. "Suck is a program used to grab news from a remote NNTP news server and bring it to your local machine, without the remote server doing anything special. If you have read permission on the server, you can use suck. Suck does NOT use the NEWNEWS command, hated by many administrators."
- suckazoid "turns a news server into an off-line newsreader cache."
NewsRover: for discussion groups and binaries!
Copyright © eMailman, LLC 1998-2009.
Emailman ® is a registered mark of eMailman, LLC.
The eMailman character, NewsReaders.com character,
"NewsReaders.com", "Emailman always delivers", "electronic superhero", "eMailOrder",
the backwards "@" sign, "@ backwards", "turning your e-mail around" and "Read.
Discuss. View. Think." are trademarks of eMailman, LLC.
All other marks belong to their respective owners.